Presentation by Dr. K. Suresh Gautham
During the presentation, you’ll hear Dr. K. Suresh Gautham:
- Describe the general concepts and principles of quality, safety, and value in healthcare
- Describe methods to measure quality and safety, and interpret quality metrics
- List quality and safety metrics specific to neonatal nutrition
- Discuss some common frameworks and methods for quality improvement
- Specify how a comprehensive NICU nutrition program can be built
- Identify priorities for nutritional quality improvement in their own NICU
There is a Q&A session at the end of the presentation.
About the Speaker:
K. Suresh Gautham, MD
Baylor College of Medicine
Texas Children’s Hospital
Dr. K. S. Gautham, MD, DM, MS, FAAP, is a Professor of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine and a Neonatologist at Texas Children’s Hospital. He previously served as Section Head and Service Chief of Neonatology at Texas Children’s Hospital. He is a Deputy Editor of The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety, and a Senior Editor for the Neonatal Review Group of the Cochrane Collaboration. He is an editor of a well-known textbook, Assisted Ventilation of the Neonate, editor of Clinical Guidelines in Neonatology, and is also an editor of the neonatology section in Rudolph Textbook of Pediatrics.
After his fellowship in neonatology at the University of Vermont, he served as a faculty member there and was a postgraduate fellow at the Vermont Oxford Network. He has worked closely with the Vermont Oxford Network for many years, as a faculty member of the Vermont Oxford Network’s quality improvement collaborative, the Neonatal Intensive Care Quality (NICQ) project, and as an advisory board member for NICQ. He has set up and directed several educational courses on patient safety, on evidence-based medicine and on communication in healthcare. He was chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics program, Education in Quality Improvement for Pediatric Practice (EQIPP) for 13 years and is now a member of the group managing this program.